What is the best care tips for my lips?
Lips are a unique part of our body from functional and visual point of view. Lip care is unique yet simple measures can unsure they stay young and function well.
Dr. Sapijaszko’s Tips for Luscious Lips.
- Protect from the sun – lips, just like our skin can be damaged by the excessive sun exposure – Use lip balm with at least SPH 15 on a daily basis – your lips will thank you.
- Use bland moisturizers – Lips are very sensitive and any irritants will cause them to become dry and itchy. Avoid irritants such as perfumes, menthol, camphor or peppermint in your lip balm. Use non-fragrant natural ingredients.
- Avoid exposing lips to toothpaste – Toothpaste is meant for our teeth and mouth and not for our lips. With all the new ingredients in toothpaste, we can become allergic to them causing lip dryness.
- Stop smoking – not only will smoking age the whole body, it does have more damaging effect on your lips. Smokers have more lip cancers and more lip wrinkles.
- Try to avoid licking your lips – Repeated lip licking can cause irritation, redness, swelling and injury to the lips. Saliva has some chemicals that help digest our food not out lips.
- Treat lip infections promptly – One of the most common lip infections is a cold sore (herpes virus infection). If left alone, the infection can cause lip scarring that is very difficult to correct. The best way to treat is to see your doctor as soon as you can for oral anti-viral therapy.
- Lipsticks are great – use them to accentuate your personality. Lipsticks can also provide some protection against harmful sun rays. Maybe that is why women have less lip cancer than men.
- For fuller lips, apply lip-gloss in the center of your lips. Lip-gloss can enhance the look of lips imparting health and youth.
- For temporary lip volume enhancement, try one of the lip plumpers – these products produce instant hydrating effect giving you desirably looking lips.
- For longer lasting natural look lip volume rejuvenation, try one of the new generation fillers. These products restore lip volume producing youthful, healthy and naturally looking lips (e.g. Restylane®, Juvederm®, Puragen®). You will need to see an experienced doctor for this service.